There are several key laws in Ontario related to waste and recycling. These laws include:
1. R.R.O. 1990, Regulation 347 – General waste regulation. Covers areas such as garbage, municipal waste, asbestos, hazardous waste and liquid industrial waste in Ontario.
2. The Environmental Protection Act (EPA) – “The purpose of this Act is to provide for the protection and conservation of the natural environment.”
5. The Waste Diversion Act – “The purpose of this Act is to promote the reduction, reuse and recycling of waste and to provide for the development, implementation and operation of waste diversion programs.”
6. The Environmental Assessment Act – “The purpose of this Act is the betterment of the people of the whole or any part of Ontario by providing for the protection, conservation and wise management in Ontario of the environment.“
7. The Planning Act – “To promote sustainable economic development in a healthy natural environment within the policy and by the means provided under this Act.”
O. Reg. 104/94 – learn more
O. Reg. 101/07 – learn more